Whether it is taking an extended lunch or taking products for personal use, it all constitutes employee theft. Of course we always want to believe the best about our employees, and while there are many honest employees, a shocking 75 percent of employees steal or have stolen from their employer according to a 2009 United States Chamber of Commerce study.
Every business, regardless of the size is susceptible to employee theft, and that theft can deeply impact the business. So how can employers deter and detect employee theft? Here are some important tips to move your security in the right direction.
Security Controls that Make a Difference
Security controls are helpful in both deterring and detecting theft. Theft occurs based on a risk assessment; the greater the threat of getting caught, the less likely someone is to commit theft. So having the right security measures in place is crucial. Consider these security measures to protect your business.
- Use access control systems to limit employee access to areas required to perform their duties.
- Consider using access codes so you know who is accessing different areas at different times of the day or night.
- Install a video surveillance and cctv system. A well-placed and visible video surveillance system is enough to deter most instances of theft and able to catch acts of theft in the process.
- If you use a traditional lock and key system, make sure you limit the number and keep record of people who have the key and that you change the locks each time an employee leaves or is dismissed.
Valuable Internal Security Practices
- Screen each employee prior to hiring them.
- Conduct regular audits of inventory.
- Split duties such as issuing checks, making deposits, managing inventory, and reconciling accounts.
- Rotate tasks among the employees.
- Have more than one employee closing each night.
S-Tron has over 20 years of uncompromising quality of service in retail and hospitality security coast to coast. We provide custom scalable access systems, redundant video surveillance systems, intrusion detection, analytics and more. Whether you need the highest levels of security for multiple sites or just one, S-Tron is ready to serve you with excellence.
Latest posts by Tina Dunn (see all)
- S-TRON Expands Their Offerings to the Educational Vertical with a Commitment to Campus Safety - December 5, 2019
- S-TRON’s Continued Salute to our Nations Veterans - November 8, 2019
- How Remote Video Monitoring Works - November 5, 2019