If you are a business owner having adequate security is more than just a good idea. Property owners are lawfully required to provide guests with adequate security, and a lack of it that leads to an assault or injury can lead to a premises liability lawsuit.
The Law Requires Proper Security For Retail Operations
The law, which covers instances of lack of security as well as improper and negligent security, requires all property owners maintain a reasonably safe environment which includes keeping visitors safe from outsiders, even in parking lots.
Here are some examples inadequate or negligent security.
- A woman is assaulted in a dark and unprotected area of a parking lot
- A man is badly beaten by a burglar when he enters a hotel room easily due to failing locks and lack of security
- A man is badly beaten in a parking lot in an area known for gang activity
A Recent Example of the Importance of Restaurant Security
Sometimes the seriousness of a threat only becomes real when we can relate to it personally. Recently, a Texas jury awarded parent of two local college students $27 million when McDonald’s was found liable for failing to provide adequate security in their parking lot. One teen, Denton ward, was attacked and killed by a mob in the parking lot and his friend, Lauren Crisp, was killed in a car crash trying to take Ward to the hospital. Lawyers for the victims’ families argued that McDonald’s failed to employ a security guard or install surveillance equipment even though the area was known for fights.
Evaluating Security Needs
The McDonald’s lawsuit and others like it provide a wake-up call for all public facilities to re-evaluate their current security solutions. Here are some solutions to consider implementing, if you have not already.
- Monitored security systems
- Access control systems
- Panic buttons
- Visible security presence
- Warning signs
- Security risk assessments
To learn more about security solutions, give S-Tron a call today. And if you want more valuable tips, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn & Twitter!
Latest posts by Tina Dunn (see all)
- S-TRON Expands Their Offerings to the Educational Vertical with a Commitment to Campus Safety - December 5, 2019
- S-TRON’s Continued Salute to our Nations Veterans - November 8, 2019
- How Remote Video Monitoring Works - November 5, 2019