Developing security plans for retail businesses is challenging for retail loss prevention. Every business is unique. There are no one-size-fits all methods for securing multiple buildings, thousands of people, remote parking lots, open space, and more. Here’s a quick list to help you create a comprehensive security plan.
Common Retail Security Challenges
As retail complexes adopt multi-layered approaches to patrol and protection and implement the use of more equipment, loss prevention managers need help adjusting to new security methods. It’s also crucial to consider protective factors for people and environmental risks. Failure to can lead to catastrophic acts of violence with heavy human loss.
A security integrator makes an excellent partner when designing and implementing security plans. They approach the process with a fresh outlook and can identify problem areas easily overlooked by loss prevention employees.
Starting Your Plan
Your security integrator will start with a risk assessment of the retail complex to determine its strengths and weaknesses. This process can take several days because it’s very detail-oriented and the integrator evaluates everything. However, a risk assessment is vital to planning and significantly enhances the security of the retail area. Their findings provide a detailed map of current spending on security, and it can save money overall by focusing on the areas that need the most resources.
Retail Loss Prevention Risk Assessment Checklist
- Lighting, landscaping, and fencing outside- Are there dark areas or places covered with shrubbery or trees that create an ideal environment for criminals to hide?
- Assessing the surrounding area- Do nearby traffic patterns and businesses affect the retail area in question?
- Electronic systems- Integration of access control, intrusion solutions, and video surveillance provides the ideal security system. These systems work well together to create a comprehensive security solution.
- Procedures and policies- Where is the retail location most vulnerable, and what are imminent threats to security?
Use this checklist as a guide to evaluate your current security plan or create a new one so that it’s updated with the latest technological solutions. Be sure it takes into consideration any changes in the threat landscape.
S-TRON is an electronic security integrator for national and regional retailers with thousands of installation locations and headquarters in Melville, New York. S-TRON provides outstanding customer service for national retail, grocery stores, restaurants, and C-stores.
- 3 Critical Security Systems and Tools Every Campus Needs - March 23, 2020
- Jarett Cavell has been appointed as S-TRON’s new President - March 16, 2020
- Why Video Resolution is a Key Factor in Choosing the Best Security Cameras for Your Business - January 28, 2020